Setting Up Cross-Domain Tracking With Gtm
To correctly implement cross-domain tracking in Google Analytics, enabling the collection and analysis of traffic data across all domains under your control.
Successful integration of cross-domain tracking in Google Analytics, providing a holistic view of user interactions across your various domains.
Prerequisites or Requirements
- Google Tag Manager Installation: Google Tag Manager should be installed on all domains. For WordPress users, refer to SOP 004 (web version) for setup instructions.
- Google Analytics Setup: Google Analytics should be running on all domains. Setup instructions are available in SOP 009 (web version).
Why This Service?
- Unified User Journey Tracking: Provides a complete picture of the user journey across multiple domains.
- Accurate Data Collection: Ensures all user interactions are tracked accurately, avoiding data fragmentation.
- Enhanced Analytics Insights: Offers deeper insights into how users interact with your various web properties.
- Informed Decision Making: Data from cross-domain tracking can inform more strategic marketing and business decisions.
- SEO and Marketing Optimization: Helps in understanding the efficacy of marketing campaigns across different domains.
When to Use This Service
- Adding New Domains: When integrating a new domain into your business that needs to be tracked under the same Google Analytics property.
- Analytics Overhaul: When upgrading your analytics setup to include multiple domains.
- Regular Analytics Maintenance: As part of ongoing maintenance to ensure accurate and comprehensive data tracking.
Process for Implementing Cross-Domain Tracking
Initial Setup and Configuration:
- Configure cross-domain tracking settings in Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager for all relevant domains.
- Implement the necessary tags on each domain using Google Tag Manager to facilitate cross-domain tracking.
Testing and Verification:
- Conduct thorough testing to ensure that cross-domain tracking is accurately capturing user movements across domains.
Data Integrity Check:
- Verify the integrity and consistency of the data being collected across different domains.
Reporting and Analytics Setup:
- Configure Google Analytics reports to effectively display and analyze cross-domain user interactions.
Training and Documentation:
- Provide training and documentation on how to interpret cross-domain analytics data.
Ongoing Support and Optimization:
- Offer ongoing support to address any issues and optimize the cross-domain tracking setup as needed.